Saturday, April 3, 2010

Entry Number One, for lack of a better name.

So, here we are at the beginning of a brand new blog. One out of the many millions polluting the Internet with mindless drivel, or possibly the greatest philosophical revelations of our time. Who knows? If you're looking for any of the latter here, prepare to be disappointed. It took me a good half-hour of screen tapping just to convince my iPod to let me start typing this entry. What that has to do with philosophy, I'm not entirely sure, but it certainly speaks volumes of my intelligence, doesn't it?
I suppose the best place to start with any story is with the setting of the scene and the introduction of the main character, no? So, here we go. Enter Crazy, a seventeen-year old (soon to be eighteen) girl with a love for the theatre. She is well-liked, has plenty of close friends and a loving, suppourtive family. She's been accepted into three out of four of her post-secondary schools (though is still waiting to hear back from her top choice), she's got decent grades and has even been offered a couple of scholarships. So why is is she Crazy? Why should you give a crap? Every story needs tension, right?
Enter our antagonist: Clinical Depression. Dundunduuuuuuun. Caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, clinical depression is a common and most often catastrophic mental illness. Imagine a deep fog from which you cannot escape, where you feel you cannot reach out to anyone and death appears to be the only path to relief. Thank god for therapy and Prozak. But that's not always enough.
That is why I am starting this blog. I have a hard time communicating my feelings to my loved ones, for fear that the true weight of my thoughts might burden them, but I needed some way to get this crap all off my chest, so here it is, easy and anonymous.
Please don't worry though, this won't all be doom and gloom, I swear. Bear with me and I'll do my best to entertain you. I will leave you all with a word of the day, one I see as rather fitting for this blog.

Schadenfreude: (German) meaning happiness or pleasure at the misfortune of others

No comments:

Post a Comment